Hilly

Who sells a good head knife?

I ordered a head knife a while back from Montana Leather, and it was on backorder, so I've decided to look elsewhere. I understand that some head knives do not come sharpened. I want one that DOES come sharp from the box. I figure it's the best way to see what a properly sharpened head knife should feel like.... Anyway, does anyone know where I can get a decent quality head knife without taking out a second mortgage? I feel that anything over say.... $125 would be paying waaaaaay too much, cuz I'm che - I mean thrifty. Also, are skiving knives the same way? Do some come sharp and others don't, because I'm sorta looking for one of those, too.

Thanks,

Hilly

Contact www.panhandleleather.com and ask for Jim Blain Kenney, they have Osborne in stock(Not Sharp!), but they also carry some knives that a local guy builds that are really nice. I think they are around the $125.00 mark, Freddy Hare is the Maker and I have one of his Castrating Knives, that thing can cut about 100 head without getting dull.

Contact www.panhandleleather.com and ask for Jim Blain Kenney, they have Osborne in stock(Not Sharp!), but they also carry some knives that a local guy builds that are really nice. I think they are around the $125.00 mark, Freddy Hare is the Maker and I have one of his Castrating Knives, that thing can cut about 100 head without getting dull.

Hi Tracy.

I'm not sure how tough cattle scrotums are :lol: , so I don't know if 100 head is a good number or not. I'm just a suburban brat from the midwest :) 'Bout the only cattle I ever see are wrapped in cellophane in the meat dept at my local Walmart Super Store.

I'll see what Jim Blain has to sell.

I'll put my vote in for Danny Marlin's head knife. I have the #128 which is a 4 inch head knife. I like it because it fit my hand with no modifications. I can post a picture if you like.

Marlon

I'll put my vote in for Danny Marlin's head knife. I have the #128 which is a 4 inch head knife. I like it because it fit my hand with no modifications. I can post a picture if you like.

Marlon

Sure, let's see it. I like the idea of a smaller knife. It might be easier to use than a larger one.

Contact info?

Thanks much,

Hilly

Marlon

Here you go. I have average sized hands for a male. So these pics will give you an idea of the relative size.

Marlon

DSC01554.JPG

DSC01555.JPG

DSC01556.JPG

post-3307-1203556172_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1203556198_thumb.jpg

post-3307-1203556219_thumb.jpg

I guess everyone has their favorites, here's mine... these knives are marked Gomph and sold by Ellis Barnes. Not sure who actually made them for him but the steel is unbelievable. I've tried a good number of custom knives by modern makers and haven't seen anything that compares to these... plus they're real pretty!

Darc

knives.jpg

Those are some pretty knives. What's one of those run today?

Marlon

Hi Marlon,

I can't remember what I paid for those knives but I think it was around $100 - $140.00 per knife last year. I have another knife that came from Ellis Barnes (photo) that I absolutely love and thought I'd order a set of them before they were no longer available. The ones in the picture are quite different than the first one I got and I actually like them better because the steel is a little thinner. My understanding of the knives was that Ellis had the steel from way back when and he had some fellow making the knives for him. He is no longer making any more of the knives so whatever Ellis has left on hand will probably be the end of the knives.

gomph.jpg

Darc

Gomph is a german company I belive with a real good rep for high quality steel

I stand corrected, I wasn't real sure because I had seen the name on a german site awhile back, probably got it mixed up with another name when I was researching the rebuilding of my R69S BMW awhile back.

Hilly, For my money, you can't beat a Bill Buchman knife. Especially if you like a thin blade and sharp out of the bax. You are looking at more than $100. But, in MHO, it is well spent. Carl

Hi Hilly,

I'll show and tell with about half of what I have.

I like Buchman knives and I have Five.

Buchman_Knives.jpg

The BB6 is a large head knife that I use a lot especially for long straight cuts.

BB6.jpg

The BBX1 is a little skiving knife with a larger handle that I use as much as the BB6. I do not "palm" this knife.

BBX1.jpg

The BBX3 is another head knife that is smaller with a smaller handle, you can "palm" this knife easily and it turns easier.

BBX3.jpg

The BBXV is a pattern that Bill made for Verlane Desgrange, a long tail oval knife with a small handle for palming.

BBXV.jpg

The BXV2 is a very small knife Bill also made for Verlane and is great for tight places, sometimes you just have to have a knife like this.

BXV2.jpg

This is the standard CSO Head Knife that has been around for years, and so has this one. Nice knife but needs work out of the box.

CSO_Head.jpg

And of course this is the CSO Round Knife dull as a piece of straw out of the box.

CSO_Round.jpg

This is a knife made by Duey Peters and is quite good, sharp as hell out of the box and around $60. It is a little smaller so it is better than the big knives around curves.

DP1.jpg

Here is a picture of a Don Carlos (I couldn't find my DC head knife that looks somewhat like a cleaver) straight (sorta) Knife, A Clicker knife (Blue Handle) which works on everything if you keep it sharp, this thing and a Utility knife could get you through your leather career, and last but not least the surgical scalpel (No.10 on this one).

DC_Click_Scalpel.jpg

The old skiver tried and true and indispensable.

Skiver.jpg

Last but not least the Utility knife, the only knife you can do most anything with. You do really need to sharpen them for serious work but for general stuff the blades work out of the box. For serious leather cutting, you need to at very least strop these blades.

Utility.jpg

Bill Buchman is over 70 now and doesn't take new customers, Big Sky Tool and Die might still handle them but you may have a hard time getting the X versions which are not in his regular lineup. Also it may be harder to find the smaller handles if you like to "palm" the knife. If you are lucky enough to get a Buchman, don't expect exotic handles, there is Black Walnut and maybe if you are lucky Black Walnut.

If I were on a budget, I could get by easily with a Scalpel, Utility Knife, and Clicker Knife and stay under $50. If really on a budget, three utility knives of varying sharpness from out of the box to scary is a good choice.

Good Luck,

Art

I ordered a head knife a while back from Montana Leather, and it was on backorder, so I've decided to look elsewhere. I understand that some head knives do not come sharpened. I want one that DOES come sharp from the box. I figure it's the best way to see what a properly sharpened head knife should feel like.... Anyway, does anyone know where I can get a decent quality head knife without taking out a second mortgage? I feel that anything over say.... $125 would be paying waaaaaay too much, cuz I'm che - I mean thrifty. Also, are skiving knives the same way? Do some come sharp and others don't, because I'm sorta looking for one of those, too.

Thanks,

Hilly

post-18-1203651848_thumb.jpg

post-18-1203651894_thumb.jpg

post-18-1203651917_thumb.jpg

post-18-1203651946_thumb.jpg

post-18-1203651964_thumb.jpg

post-18-1203651995_thumb.jpg

post-18-1203652013_thumb.jpg

post-18-1203652034_thumb.jpg

post-18-1203652059_thumb.jpg

post-18-1203652084_thumb.jpg

post-18-1203652111_thumb.jpg

post-18-1203652135_thumb.jpg

Art, It sure looks l;ike you have a nice collection of Bill's knives. I want to get a small one like your BXV2. last year I bought his skiving knife to go with the straight Buckman head knife that I already have. (I can't remember the model). Hopefully as a past customer, he will still make one for me. Carlb

Hi Carl,

Best way to find out is to call him direct; Bill Buchman's number is 541-382-8851. Mention to him that you ordered from him before. Also mention if you want the smaller (lady's) handle.

Art

Art, It sure looks l;ike you have a nice collection of Bill's knives. I want to get a small one like your BXV2. last year I bought his skiving knife to go with the straight Buckman head knife that I already have. (I can't remember the model). Hopefully as a past customer, he will still make one for me. Carlb

I have had nearly every brand and I my favorite are Bill Buchmans. My second favorite was one I got from Ellis but it was a bit different than what I'm seeing here. It was one that we used in the Belt company. It had a really nice handle for skiveing. Some one stole it though.

David Genadek

Modifying Hilly's post: I'm also on a budget, but I'm not afraid of putting my own edge on something. Hide crafters has Osborne & ALS for $60 ish; and Danny Marlin for $100 ish. Tandy has Al Stohlman (same as ALS??) and Osborne.

Q #1 - why is Tandy's osborne knife twice the price?

Q #2 - What's the better choice for an under $100 knife? keep in mind I'm as green as they get and not really sure when this would be required over other knife options.

Oh and to brag a little... I have a SWEEET Bob Beard knife (I think its a skiver?) that is just ded sexy. It's wicked sharp. Pic attached - tell me what it is supposed to be used for! Another inherited tool...

IMG_3368a.jpg

post-5266-1203730177_thumb.jpg

howardb,

I can't answer how companies price the same goods. The #70 CSO knife is $35.95 from Siegels website, it has been at that price for a while. TLF used to carry a more complete line of CSO tools, but have scaled back. Isn't the TLF price 90 something? I have a CSO knife. It is OK, and will sharpen up well. I have a few old Clydes, and they are my favorites. I batch my sharpening, use a knife for a while, grab another, until I have a few to sharpen. MY anecdotal impression is that the Clydes go a while longer than the CSO before the need to strop and sharpen.

Brings me to my thoughts on buying a knife. I think that the original post about buying a sharp one ready to go is a good idea. Remember that feel, because it won't be that way in a week, and maybe not in an hour. First skill is to maintain the edge. There seem to be several new knife makers coming on the scene. Some new ads in ShopTalk and LCSJ. Some of the old line makers like Linneman, Jolly, and Buchmann are not making many/any. The guys making knives for other uses have seen the void, and the need for quality tools that has always been there. There are some new or old-but-new-again steels, and steel treatments being used. You will need to talk to the maker to see what they recommend for stropping compound and sharpening. Some of the knives come sharp and hold a an edge quite a while. They also require a lot more effort to bring back to original. You can't afford the downtime to ship one back for resharpening, and many local knife sharpeners have no clue what we need. Some put a very thin fine edge that immediately rolls, and others leave a chiseled edge and hone marks that aren't close to sharp. Herb French put out a pretty good little book on sharpening leather tools. I think Sheridan Leather Outfitters sells it for around $11. Worth it.

Modifying Hilly's post: I'm also on a budget, but I'm not afraid of putting my own edge on something. Hide crafters has Osborne & ALS for $60 ish; and Danny Marlin for $100 ish. Tandy has Al Stohlman (same as ALS??) and Osborne.

Q #2 - What's the better choice for an under $100 knife? keep in mind I'm as green as they get and not really sure when this would be required over other knife options.

Oh and to brag a little... I have a SWEEET Bob Beard knife (I think its a skiver?) that is just ded sexy. It's wicked sharp. Pic attached - tell me what it is supposed to be used for! Another inherited tool...

IMG_3368a.jpg

Hide Crafter no longer carries Danny Marlin head knives :(

I've had about 8 Marlins and found them to be fine when they were new but as they wore down the blade got to thick and I would have to do a lot of work to thin them down. If you don't do a lot of cutting that probabley won't be an issue though. The knife I got from Ellis had a double bevel to it had a lot of substance up near the handle but tapered to a thinner blade then ended up with a good edge. The Buchman blades are thin all the way though Which gives them a longer useable life and it makes it easyer to trim things with them.

Personally I like a big knife but I know a lot of folks are pretty uncomfortable with that to start off with. The bigger blade gives you more area for guiding when doing straight cuts and if your trimming, for instance a cantle, the bigger blade give you a better visual of the angle your cutting at. I usually start people with a smaller blade and as they become comfortable they will just start grabbing the bigger blades.

David Genadek

Well, now that I've found this thread, I'll offer my own 2 green cents. Why do I need a head knife? Specifically, what type of cutting requires this configuration? Currently, I'm getting by with an exacto, a utility knife, and an old pocket knife an uncle gave me-using the modified sheepsfoot/wharncliff blade. Most of my cuts are pretty straight, with the occasional curve or wave and I'm getting by okay with these. Does the round knife/head knife really come into its own with the heavier leathers, like saddle skirting?TIA for enlightening a greenhorn.

I used to get by with similar tools until I got a head knife, now I won't use anything else for cutting leather. It's like the difference between riding a vespa and a Harley.

Ok,

Question #1

The CSO #70 Round knife from Siegel of California is made from 1070 steel, medium priced steel with .70 carbon that will harden nicely and be an easy blade to sharpen. Siegel sells this knife for $55.38 but has had it on sale for a while at $38.95. This is less than I paid for it from them 10 years ago. Buy it now and buy some leather to cut with it and make sure the total is over $70 so you get free shipping, or for that price buy two.

The CSO #70 Round knife #3935-00 is a totally similar knife to the one from Siegel, but is apparently made from the new rare earth UNOBTANIUM with identical chemical and hardening characteristics as any other CSO #70 but the unheard of bargain price of $80 club and $60 reseller.

Either of these knives will require a good sharpening and even a little reworking of the edge bevel before using although I am sure many are used (forcefully no doubt) straight out of the box.

Some folks are a little apprehensive to get the old stones out or turn on the grinder (for the experienced only) so I am including a letter from Duey Peters of the mighty big leather guild who does sharpening and some tool making. This is about a year and a half old so prices and availability may have changed, but if you don't like to sharpen, his prices are good and his work excellent, see my post above for a pic of one of his head knives.

Hi

Here is the current price list if you have a tool that needs sharpening

that you don't see on the list just email me for a quote. I have found

that about the only thing I can not sharpen is my brain;-) I will be

adding more tools to both the sharpening price list and also the tools I

sell and tools that I make that are for sell. Feel free to print

off copies of price list and pass on to other leather workers you know

in local guilds or otherwise. Turn around time is normally less than 1

week if longer I will email to let you know. Also first come first

served. If you send tools using the USPS please use my P.O. Box # if

sending by UPS or FEDEX please use my street address. All work is

guarantied or you get your money back minus shipping. I take checks or

money orders please include return postage with tools and insurance if

desired. If you have a tool that needs sharpening or a tool made that is

not on either list below just email me with your request for a quote.

Thanks

Duey

PRICE LIST FOR SHARPENING & STROPPING TOOLS

Awl blades $1.50

Leather scissors $5.00

Belt and strap end cutters sharpen and strop $4.00

Bag Punches & Round Punches sharpen & Strop $4.00

Edgers sharpen and strop $3.00

Edgers/edge bevelers sharpen and strop $3.00

Regular swivel knife blade sharpen and strop $1.50

Regular swivel knife blade thin blade and or change angle sharpen and

strop $3.00

Beader swivel knife blade sharpen and strop $3.00

Hennley swivel knife blade sharpen and strop $3.00

Hennley swivel knife beader blade sharpen and strop $4.00

Ceramic swivel knife blade stop only $2.00

Ceramic swivel knife blade sharpen and strop $4.00

Ceramic swivel knife beader blade strop only $3.00

Ceramic swivel knife beader blade sharpen and strop $5.00

Head or round knife sharpen and strop $4.00 unless blade is pitted or in

otherwise bad shape then e-mail for quote.

Skiving, square point, bevel point knife or any other utility type knife

$3.00

Splitter blades $1.00 per inch for length of blade. (Example 6 inch

splitter blade $6.00)

Clicker Dies $1.00 per inch same as splitter blades

Round Blades such as the offa cutters or from the crank type strap

cutters $5.00

PRICE LIST FOR HAND MADE TOOLS

The maul and mallet heads are made from a Ultra-High Molecular Weight

Polyethylene (UHMW) for short. The handles are each hand turned from

stacked leather washers.

Mauls either tapered or straight head $57.00

Mallets either flat on both ends or with a 5deg. taper on both ends or

flat on one end and 5deg. taper on the other end $57.00

Round/Head knife $47.00

Half round/head knife $47.00

Common Edge Tool $13.00

Lock Stitch Sewing Awl the kind that has the spool of thread inside of

the handle includes two straight and two curved needles one bobbin full

of thread and a large 180yard spool of heavy polyester thread. I did not

make these Awls but got a pretty good deal on them and am passing the

savings on to others.

The above prices include Priority shipping.

I will soon be also making both angled and straight bladed knives very

soon and will give prices for them as soon as I figure out a

price for them.

Send Tools & Payment to the Following Address

Duwayne Peters

P.O. Box 159

407 N. Bluff

Blunt SD 57522

Phone# (605)962-6227

EMAIL dpeters@sullybuttes.net

The answer to question #2. The Duey which is ready to go out of the box or a #70 and send it out to have it sharpened. That way you have money left over for a good clicker knife, an injector blade skiver, and a couple of utility knives and a pack of blades.

Art

IMG_3368a.jpg

Hey Reading this Topic makes me want a new head knife! I suppose there is nothing wrong with the Osbourne that I have, but has anyone tried that Weaver Head knife? I think I might Email Deuy and try one of his knifes too...

-Andrew